When thinking of Rio de Janeiro wilderness this is the pinnacle! An adventure designed to be the tops in Brazil. Get to know Rio de Janeiro well beyond the carnival and the traditional!
For 3 days we’ll be crossing one of Brazil’s first national parks, the Serra dos Órgãos natural reserve, for many the most beautifull Brasillina crossig, the Petrópolis x Teresópolis Expedition.
After that, let’s go for 3 more days camping in a place believed to be designed by the gods themselves, the Três Picos natural reserve at the God’s Valley, for many the “Brazilian Yosemite” experience for its topographical formation. We’ll camp at one of the most beautiful camp sites on the park in order to hike several small course trails to the summits around.
Our Trekking Expedition begins and finish at you hosting at Rio de Janeiro City at your hosting (or Rio airport) and has private transfer in and out to the trekking for your comfort and safety.
Check out the complete itinerary, what is included, watch the video and adventure with us at the Rio de Janeiro Wilderness Experience!
Rio de Janeiro Wilderness Trekking – Highlights
- Get to know the most beautiful mountain crossings of Brazil;
- Discover the best views sobre the Serra do Mar;
- Get to know the biggest conservation unit of Rio de Janeiro (Valley of the Gods)
What’s the itinerary of the Rio de Janeiro Wilderness Trekking?
Day 1: Rio de Janeiro (Transfer) x Castelos do Açu
Day 2: Castelos do Açu x Pedra do Sino
Day 4: Teresópolis x Valley of the Gods x Dragon’s Head Peak
Day 5: God’s Valley camp x ‘Caixa de Fósforos’ Peak x God’s Valley camp
Day 6: God’s Valley camp x Frades Valley Crossing x Rio de Janeiro (Transfer)
Inclusions and Exclusions
What’s included in Rio de Janeiro Wilderness Trekking?
- Specialists Guides in long-distance trekking;
- Guided Petrópolis x Teresópolis Crossing in 03 days;
- Guided Three Peaks Trekking in 03 days;
- Guided trail to the Valley of the Gods, Dragon’s Head and Matchbox Peak
- Guided Crossing Valley of the Gods x Valley of the Friars
- Transportation Rio de Janeiro x Petrópolis ;
- Transportation Valley of Friar x Rio de Janeiro city ;
- Serra dos Órgãos National Park taxes;
- Tickets and overnight rates for all days of trekking;
- 01 overnight in hotel;
- Double Camping Tents ;
- Food advising (for snacks during the trekking) before leaving;
- Remote monitoring of the Expedition;
- Safety equipment for technical paths (rope, baldriers, etc.);
- First-aid kit ;
- Nattrip Expeditions Gift ;
- Personal accident insurance;
- Satellite tracking of the expedition via SpotGen3;
- Porters of equipment of collective use ;
- 05 Breakfast on the mountain;
- 04 Dinner on the mountain;
Equipment rent is avaliable if you need.
- Gratuities (optional)
- Personal use medice;
- Any item not described as included.
What to bring to the Rio de Janeiro Wilderness Trekking?
- Identity document (Passaport)
- International Vaccination Certificate – Yellow Fever
Mandatory Equipment :
- Trekking Backpack (minimun of 60l);
- Sleeping bag (for 0ºc confort);
- Sleeping Pad;
- Walking stick (01 or 02);
- Headlight and batteries;
- Bottle of water (minimun of 2l);
- Boot / Hiking shoes;
- Dry Fit / Polyamide shirts;
- Anorak /Fleece;
- Waste compartment;
- Backpack rain cover;
- Toilet paper;
- Snacks for the day.
Optional personal gear:
- Second Skin (shirt and legs)
- Trekking pants
- Bathing suits
- Hats or caps
- Backup headlamp and batteries
- Multi-purpose pocket knife
- Dry bag/sack
- Technical packs
- Digital camera
- Wet wipes
- Solar protector
- Lip balm
- Emergency Blanket
- Paracord 3-5 mm
- Water purification tablets
- Energy gels
- Personal use medications
Where do we meet to go to Rio de Janeiro Wilderness Trekking?
Departure point and times:
- 06:30 – your hosting at Rio de Janeiro city.
Total Duration: 06 days finishing around 18:00 at your hosting in Rio de Janeiro.
Expedition Pick-up point:
Where does the trekking take place?
FAQ Rio de Janeiro Wilderness
How many kilometers, on average, will we walk a day on the Rio de Janeiro Wilderness Expedition in 06 days?
Day 1 – 8 km and 06 to 08 hours;
Day 2 – 10 km and 08 to 10 hours;
Day 3 – 12 km and 04 to 06 hours;
Day 4 – 05 km and 04 to 06 hours;
Day 5 – 05 km and 04 to 6 hours;
Day 6 – 06 km and 03 to 04 hours.
Is it safe?
Nattrip operates this tour regularly and never had any issues regarding safety. Regarding inherent risks involved, please be aware to read “Exposure” iconograph before booking this product. Incidents such as falls, twists and scratches happen very often. It is mandatory to follow the instructions of the Leaders and to use safety equipment when requested.
Will my cell phone work? Wi-fi spots?
During the Expedition, we will have cell phone signal only at some points in the path, so the cell phone can be disconnected most of the time. In the places where there is signal, the Guides will advise the group.
How does the food works? What do we eat?
During the trekking expedition the breakfasts and dinners are included in the activity. Porters will carry all kitchen equipment and food that will be prepared every day and all the participants are invited help preparing the meals in the wood stove, being a differentiated experience. There is vegan, vegetarian, gluten free restriction and complete option for meals (each participant will inform your option). Nattrip will send advice for buying snacks before the start of trekking.
How do we get water?
The water is 100% natural water and contains living microorganisms. If you’re not used to this type of ingestion, we recommend the use of water purification.
Are there bathroom facilities?
Yes. The mountain shelters provide bathroom facilities designed for minimum environmental impact. Please bring garbage bag and toilet paper with you for any emergency use.
How’s the group? Who will I be travelling with?
Our expeditions consists of small groups. In case of large number of people, we will divide into small groups that will hike with minimum interval. Other people might join the same group. If you want to go on a private group, contact us before booking.
What kind of gear do I need? What are the luggage restrictions? Packing tips?
A comfortable backpacking pack (60L minimum) is mandatory. Camping gear will be provided. Rentals are available in case you need, please let us know prior to departure. Assistance before departure is available, contact us.
Can I rent equipment needed for the crossing with Nattrip?
Yes, Nattrip Expedition has the disposition to rent the necessary equipment for the this kind of activity, just to get in touch. As well as guidelines of good options to purchase them.
What are the vaccines needed? What about the Zyka Virus?
Yellow fever vaccine is mandatory. Aedes Aegypti is an urban mosquito, it does not proliferate in wild natural environments. No diseases transmitted by this mosquito will be found in the natural places visited (dengue, zyka, etc).
Do I have to bring cash?
We always recommend to bring cash with you. In Teresópolis city there is possibility to buy local handcraft and souvenirs. Drinks and tips are not included also.
Where do we sleep?
Overnight will be held in double camping tents. During the 3rd night of the Expedition, we will stay overnight in a Hotel in the city of Teresopolis.
Any wildlife risks?
The highest risk are venomous animals. They usually get away from humans, but there is the possibility to find snakes or spiders along the way.
What’s the physical effort involved?
The trekking in Serra dos Órgãos National Park is extreme because of obstacles, distance and altitude variation. In Três Picos State Park there is less physical effort involved.
What ages is it suitable?
Each person knows their limits. We don’t limit anybody, but we don’t recommend to youngers less than 12 years old.
If the weather forecast is unfavorable, is the expedition canceled / deferred?
Nattrip constantly monitors the weather forecast for the specific microclimate of Serra dos Órgãos, including during the expedition. If Nattrip agency and / or Activity Guides understand that the physical integrity risks inherent to natural activity are being exceeded, the event may be postponed or cancelled.
740USD per person (for 03 or more persons group)
980USD per person (for 02 or more persons group)
1.710USD per person (for 01 person group)
This tour has daily departure
• Daily departure available;
• Please consider that this tour requires booking 3 days in advance.
- More than 5 participants, contact us!
- Small groups (10 persons max);
- Bilingual Leaders (Professional Tour Guides);
- Satellite monitoring with SPOT Gen3;
- Privative transfer in and out Rio de Janeiro (your hosting).
Check out the E-book Personalizing Your Trip Safely – 6 steps to travel around Brazil.