The Petropolis Teresopolis Crossing is located within the Serra dos Órgãos National Park in Brazil, amidst the exuberance of the Atlantic Forest and between the mountain towns of Petropolis, Guapimirim and Teresopolis.
Considered by many as the most beautiful trekking or long-distance hike in Brazil, the Petropolis Teresopolis crossing presents several breathtaking viewpoints and visuals. With many steep climbs and descents is considered a difficult trekking and has about 32 km linking the municipality of Petropolis to Teresopolis.
The Petropolis Teresopolis crossing usually takes place in three days, being the route divided into Petropolis park entrance x Açu castles, Açu castles x Pedra do Sino and Pedra do Sino x Teresopolis park entrance.
Our Expedition starts and finishes in the city of Rio de Janeiro at your hosting and has private transfer in and out to the trekking for your comfort and safety.
Check out the complete itinerary, watch the video and adventure with us at the Petropolis x Teresopolis crossing!
Petrópolis x Teresópolis Trekking – Highlights
- Backpacking to the most Beautifull trekking of Brazil’;
- Get to know Teresópolis the Brazilian mountaineering capital;
- Get to know the Dedo de Deus (The Finger of Good Peak);
- Hike and camp in the Serra dos Órgãos Moutains Range;
- Get to know Rio de Janeiro well beyond the urban center;
What’s the itinerary of Petropolis Teresopolis Crossing?
1st Day: Petropolis park entrance x Castelos do Açú Peak
2nd Day: Castelos do Açu Peak x Pedra do Sino Peak x Shelter 4
The current overnight options are (depend on the National Park availability):
- Camping (in 2-persons shared tents)
- Bivaque (collective room without beds inside the mountain shelters)
- Bunk Bed (inside the mountain shelters)
Inclusions and Exclusions
What’s included in Petropolis Teresopolis Crossing?
- Specialists Liders in long-distance trekking;
- Guided Petrópolis x Teresópolis Crossing in 03 days;
- Transportation Rio de Janeiro x Petrópolis ;
- Transportation Teresópolis x Rio de Janeiro ;
- Serra dos Órgãos National Park taxes;
- Tickets and overnight rates for all days of trekking;
- Double Camping Tents ;
- Food advising (for snacks during the trekking) before leaving;
- Remote monitoring of the Expedition;
- Safety equipment for technical paths (rope, baldriers, etc.);
- First-aid kit ;
- Nattrip Expeditions Gift ;
- Personal accident insurance;
- Satellite tracking of the expedition via SpotGen3;
- Collective Equipment Porters (food, tents, first-aind ect);
- 02 Breakfast on the mountain (2 and 3 day);
- 02 Dinner on the mountain (1 and 2 day).
Equipment rent is avaliable if you need.
- Gratuities (optional)
- Personal use medice;
- Any item not described as included.
What to bring to Petropolis Teresopolis Crossing?
- Identity document (Passaport)
- International Vaccination Certificate – Yellow Fever
- Trekking Backpack – at least 60 Liters (3661 cu)
- Sleeping Bag – for 0ºc Confort
- Sleeping Pad-
- Hiking poles (01 or 02)
- Headlamp and batteries
- Water compartment – Bottle/Camelbak/Hydrapak (2L minimal)
- Hiking shoes or boots
- Dry-fit shirts
- Anorak and Fleece
- Waste compartment
- Backpack rain cover
- Toilet paper
- Snacks for the day
Equipment rent is avaliable if you need.
Optional personal gear:
- Second Skin (shirt and legs)
- Trekking pants
- Bathing suits
- Hats or caps
- Backup headlamp and batteries
- Multi-purpose pocket knife
- Dry bag/sack
- Technical packs
- Digital camera
- Wet wipes
- Solar protector
- Lip balm
- Emergency Blanket
- Paracord 3-5 mm
- Water purification tablets
- Energy gels
- Personal use medications
Where do we meet to go to The Three Peaks Park Trekking?
Departure point and times:
- 06:30 – your hosting at Rio de Janeiro city.
Total Duration: 03 days finishing around 18:00 at your hosting in Rio de Janeiro.
Expedition Pick-up point:
Where does the trekking take place?
FAQ Petrópolis Teresópolis Trekking Expedition
Is it safe?
Nattrip operates this tour regularly and never had any issues regarding safety. Regarding inherent risks involved, please be aware to read “Exposure” iconograph before booking this product. Incidents such as falls, twists and scratches happen very often. It is mandatory to follow the instructions of the Leaders and to use safety equipment when requested.
Will my cell phone work? Wi-fi spots?
At Travessia Petrópolis x Teresópolis expedition it will have cell phone signal only at some points in the path, so the cell phone can be disconnected most of the time. In the places where there is signal, the Guides will advise the group.
How does the food works? What do we eat?
During trekking we will have included one main meal per day, usually pasta with proteins. If you’re vegetarian, vegan or has any restrictions please advise our staff before departure. While exercising we don’t recommend meals, only snacks. Breakfast is not included. Therefore, we kindly ask you to bring your breakfast and snacks, both can be combined together. We highly recommend nut mixes.
How do we get water?
The water is 100% natural water and contains living microorganisms. If you’re not used to this type of ingestion, we recommend the use of water purification.
Are there bathroom facilities?
Yes. The mountain shelters provide bathroom facilities designed for minimum environmental impact. Please bring garbage bag and toilet paper with you for any emergency use.
How’s the group? Who will I be travelling with?
Our expeditions consists of small groups. In case of large number of people, we will divide into small groups that will hike with minimum interval. Other people might join the same group. If you want to go on a private group, contact us before booking.
What kind of gear do I need? What are the luggage restrictions? Packing tips?
A comfortable backpacking pack (60L minimum) is mandatory. Camping gear will be provided. Rentals are available in case you need, please let us know prior to departure. Assistance before departure is available, contact us.
What are the vaccines needed? What about the Zyka Virus?
Yellow fever vaccine is mandatory. Aedes Aegypti is an urban mosquito, it does not proliferate in wild natural environments. No diseases transmitted by this mosquito will be found in the natural places visited (dengue, zyka, etc)
Do I have to bring cash?
We always recommend to bring cash with you. In Teresópolis there is possibility to buy local handcraft and souvenirs. Drinks and tips are not included also.
Where do we sleep?
While trekking the overnights will be either in mountain shelters or the camping sites nearby. It will depend entirely on the park’s availability. In Teresópolis the overnight will be in a medium class hotel.
Any wildlife risks?
The highest risk are venomous animals. They usually get away from humans, but there is the possibility to find snakes or spiders along the way.
What’s the physical effort involved?
The trekking in Serra dos Órgãos National Park is extreme because of obstacles, distance and altitude variation. In Três Picos State Park there is less physical effort involved.
What ages is it suitable?
Each person knows their limits. We don’t limit anybody, but we don’t recommend to youngers less than 12 years old.
If the weather forecast is unfavorable, is the expedition canceled / deferred?
Nattrip constantly monitors the weather forecast for the specific microclimate of Serra dos Órgãos, including during the expedition. If Nattrip agency and / or Activity Guides understand that the physical integrity risks inherent to natural activity are being exceeded, the event may be postponed or cancelled.
Can I rent equipment needed for the crossing with Nattrip?
Yes, the Nattrip Expeditions has the disposition to rent the necessary equipment for the crossing Petrópolis Teresópolis, just to get in touch. As well as guidelines of good options to purchase them.
This tour has daily departure
• Daily departure available;
• Please consider that this tour requires booking 3 days in advance.
- Small groups (10 persons max);
- Bilingual Leaders (Professional Tour Guides);
- Satellite monitoring with SPOT Gen3;
- Privative transfer in and out Rio de Janeiro (your hosting).
Check out the E-book Personalizing Your Trip Safely – 6 steps to travel around Brazil.